This is a long video but worth watching. Howard Rheingold talks about literacy, information literacy, digital literacy and critical thinking. One of the things that stands out to me is he borrows the term “crap detection” from Ernest Hemingway. So while he is applying it to the internet the importance of critical thinking has been around long before the internet. It is not a new skill, but rather an old skill being applies to a new medium.
- Crap Detection 101
- The CRAP Test
- The Essential Skill of Crap Detecting
- Bulls#@t and the Art of Crap-Detection
- FCC’s Broadband Action Agenda Fails to Address Training and Education
- The Digital Divide Does Not Discriminate
- Knight Commission on the Information Needs of Communities in a Democracy Warns of “Second Class Citizens” in the Digital Age