Last month I saw this A List of Female Technology Policy Experts making the rounds on Twitter. Which was inspired by this tweet:
— Amie Stepanovich (@astepanovich) August 23, 2016
I immediately thought back to the analysis I did of ALA & LITA Top Tech Trends panelist (not moderators) back in January. I recommend you read my whole post on the Top Tech Trends (of course I recommend you read all of my blog posts! 🙂 ) But in a nutshell, I found that from 2003 through 2016 Midwinter 56.95% of panelist were repeaters and of those repeats, 74.42% were men. The good news is Jenny Levine, and I assume some committee members, heard the complaints and looked at the data I provided and the panel at Annual was much more diverse.
Given the difficulty of finding female (or not male) technology experts who are working in libraries, I thought creating a list would be a good idea. Given Lisa Hinchliffe’s tweet last week looking for just such a list I am putting one together.
I put the initial call out on Twitter asking for recommendations. One downside is that most of the recommendations are tweeters.My calls for experts got a lot of retweets but very few responses. I know there are more female library tech experts out there! I know not all technology experts use Twitter, so let’s expand that list!
To recommend someone, please post a comment or email me (bobbi.newman AT gmail.com:
- name, title, and organization – required
- Twitter handle -not required.
Update 9/20: Please include Name, Title, & PoW in suggestion, Twitter handle alone isn’t sufficient to be included. At this point, I do not include vendors on the list.
- Amanda Izenstark, Reference & Instructional Design Librarian, University of Rhode Island @znstrk
- Amanda Visconti, Assistant Professor and Digital Humanities Specialist Librarian
Purdue University Libraries, @Literature_Geek
- Beatrice Pulliam, Director of Technology and Information Services and AskRI Director, Providence Public Library, @beatricepulliam
- Becky Yoose, Library Applications and Systems Manager for The Seattle Public Library @yo_bj
- Bess Sadler, Manager for Application Development, Digital Library Systems at Stanford University Library, @eosadler
- Cecily Walker, Assistant Manager, Community Digital Initiatives, Vancouver Public Library, @skeskali
- Char Booth, Associate Dean of the Library at CSU San Marcos, @charbooth
- Christina Harlow, Metadata Librarian, Cornell University @cm_harlow
- Deborah Lee, Professor and Co-Director, MSU QEP, Mississippi State University, @deb07
- Debra Champ, Director of IT, Indianapolis Public Library.
- Diane Pennington, Lecturer, University of Strathclyde
- Ellen Druda, Technology and Internet Services, Half Hollow Hills Community Library
- Emily Lynema, Associate Head, Information Technology, North Carolina State University
- Emily Morton-Owens, Director of Digital Library Development and Systems, UPenn @bradamant
- Erin Berman, Innovations Manager, San José Public Library (Calif.)
- Erin O’Meara, Department Head, Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship, University of Arizona Libraries, @diplomaticaerin
- Heather Reid, Dean of Library and Learning Resources, Berklee College of Music
- Heidi Burkhardt, User Experience Specialist, University of Michigan Library, @heidi_sb
- Heidi Webb, Systems and Electronic Resources Librarian, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, blog
- Jamie Marie Keller-Aschenbach, Head of Research & Access Services, Florida Coastal School of Law, @somcak
- Janice Painter Access Services Manager, Princeton Public Library, @lbrarygrrl
- Jennifer Herron, Emerging Technologies Librarian, Ruth Lilly Medical Library at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Jennifer L. Thoegersen, Data Curation Librarian, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Jenny Elizabeth, STEAM Librarian, Westlake Porter Public Library
- Jessamyn West Community Technology Librarian OpenLibrary, @jessamyn
- Jiao Han, Supervising Librarian Cataloging and Processing, Oakland Public Library (Calif.)
- Jody DeRidder, Head of Metadata and Digital Services, University of AL, @jlderidder
- Julie Oborny, Web Librarian, San José Public Library
- Kara Brehm Emerging Technologies Librarian, Cape May County Library @beachlibrarian
- Karen Estlund, Associate Dean for Technology and Digital Strategies, Pennsylvania State Univeristy
- Katherine Lynch, Sr. Application Developer, UPenn.
- Kim Pham, Digital Projects and Technologies Librarian, University of Toronto Scarborough @tolloid
- Kimberly Barker Emerging Technologies & Digital Initiatives Librarian, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, @KR_Barker
- Krista Godfrey, Web Services Librarian, Memorial University @weelibrarian
- Kristen Wilson, Associate Head, Acquisitions and Discovery, North Carolina State University Libraries
- Kristin Antelman, University Librarian, California Institute of Technology
- Laura Solomon, Library Services Manager, Ohio Public Library Information Network, @laurasolomon
- Leslie Johnston, Director of Development and Tool Management at the U.S. National Archives, National Archives @lljohnston
- Lucy Harrison, Interim Chief Operating Officer, Florida Virtual Campus
- Lydia Zvyagintseva, Digital Exhibits Intern Librarian, Edmonton Public Library @lydia_zv (private account)
- May Yan, ER Access & Discovery Librarian, Ryerson University @mayyan
- Meghan Musolff, Program Manager for Library IT Services, Training, and Assessment, University of Michigan Library, @MooseOff
- Mita Williams, Librarian, University of Windsor Library, @copystar
- Nina McHale, Library Director at Red Rocks Community College
- Patricia F. Anderson, Emerging Technology Librarian at Taubman Health Sciences Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, @pfanderson
- Pauline Lynch Shostack, Library Department Chair/Professor (and webmaster), Onondaga Community College
- Rachel R. Walden, Associate Dean of Learning Resources and medical library director, Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, @rachel_w
- Rachel Vacek, Head of Design & Discovery, University of Michigan Library, @vacekrae
- Rosalyn Metz, Director of Library Technology and Digital Strategies, Emory University, @rosy1280
- Sandra Sasal – Youth & Teen Services Librarian, Bartlett, IL, @depaulbluedemon
- Shirley Lew, Dean, Library, Teaching & Learning Services, Vancouver Community College, @shlew
Tammy Allgood Wolf, Director of Discovery Services, Arizona State University Libraries
- Tara Robertson, Accessibility Librarian, CAPER-BC @tararobertson
- Tulie Amichal, Library Information Technologies Team Leader at the College of
Management Academic Studies Library in Israel, @tulie
- Vika Zafrin, Digital Scholarship Librarian, Boston University @veek
- Whitni Watkins, Systems Librarian, Analog Devices, Inc., @_whitni
I made a Twitter list if you would like to follow the experts who are on Twitter. I’ve done my best to track down Twitter accounts, but if I have missed someone, please let me know.