I have had several conversations lately about how to use Twitter and how to decide who to follow. I know everyone has a different methodology and goal when using Twitter. Here is mine.
I have gmail filter, label and auto archive emails from Twitter and I go through them every week or so.
Any of the following disqualifies the account for a follow:
- the default avatar
- 10,000 followers or more
- social media experts
- marketing experts
- no bio
- no real name
- private account
Of course as these are my rules I have broken them all at least once I’m sure. :-) Other than that I look at the bio, the link if there is one and recent tweets.
I try to keep the number of people I follow around 250 and absolutely wont go over 300. I can’t keep up with more, some people can, I can’t. I spend most of my time on Twitter using Tweetdeck, without the columns I think I’d have to follow less than 250.
How do you decide who to follow?
Other strategies and tips:
- Deciding Who to Follow on Twitter
- The Secret to Twitter
- How To Decide Who To Follow On Twitter – 9 Tips
- How Do You Decide Who to Follow on Twitter?
- How I decide who NOT to follow on Twitter
- twitter: how to decide who to follow & why
- How to decide who to unfollow on Twitter
- Following Rules and Best Practices
- Why you should follow everyone who follows you on Twitter