- Let’s Move In Libraries, Advisory Board Member, July 2019 – present
- Public Libraries Respond to the Opioid Crisis with their Community, OCLC and PLA project, Steering Committee, funded by IMLS, October 2018 – present
- Office of Information Technology Policy (OITP), NNLM Liaison, 2017-present
- Health Initiative, PLA, Advisory Group Co-Chair, 2017-2018
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO) committee to develop a Consensus Framework to Support Patron Privacy in Digital Library and Information Systems, Member, 2015-2016
- Pew Internet & American Life Research Initiative To Study The Changing Role of Public Libraries & Library Users In The Digital Age, Advisory Group, 2012-2014
- American Library Association (ALA), Councilor-at-Large, 2011-2014
- Office of Information Technology Policy (OITP), ALA, Advisory Committee, 2011-2013
- Digital Literacy Task Force, Member, OITP, ALA, 2011-2013
- Transliteracy Interest Group, LITA, ALA, Chair, 2010-2013
- Learning Round Table, ALA, Blogger, 2009-2011
Protecting Patron Privacy: A LITA Guide. with Bonnie Tijerina (May, 2017). Rowman & Littlefield.
Should Libraries Get Out of the E-Book Business (2013). In D.A. Miller (Ed.), E-Books. Greenhaven Press.
E-Books, Sea of Change in Public Libraries (with Michael Porter & Matter Weaver) (2012). In S. Polanka (Ed.), No Shelf Required II. American Library Association
Taking Readers Advisory Online (2010). In J.E. Moyer & K.M. Stover (Eds.), Readers’ Advisory Handbook.American Library Association.
Speaking, Consulting, and Training
I am available, and delighted, to speak on a variety of library, technology, and innovation-related topics. You can see a list of past presentations and training on the presentations page.
If you are interested in a topic not listed here, please ask. If I am unable to speak on it, I keep a list of speakers and trainers so I may refer you to someone who can meet your needs.
You can see speaking recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.
Email: bobbi.newman AT gmail.com
The Fine Print:
Statements made are strictly my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or position of any of my past, present, or future employers, or organizations I belong to or volunteer for. Nor do they necessarily reflect the opinion or position of any of my colleagues, coworkers, co-presenters, confidants, friends, enemies or frenemies. As these opinions are my own, I reserve the right to update or change them at any time.
- I reserve the right to delete any comment, for any reason, at any time. Don’t like it? Get your own blog.
- Comments that are rude, anonymous, self-promoting or display other bad manners are more likely to be deleted than others.
- Emails sent to me regarding blog topics are not considered confidential and may be posted.
I use an Amazon Associate id in my links to Amazon products. Don’t worry, I’m not getting rich off of it.