Since I’m at what is my first of two conferences this month I thought I’d try to share some conference tips I’ve pulled together over the years and ask you – what have I missed?
- Give people your name, wear your name badge up near your face rather than on a lanyard so it’s easy for people to glance at it while talking to. Introduce yourself, even if you’ve already met the person. Some of us have hard time with names and there are a LOT of people to remember.
- Don’t hang out with the people you came with – Go to different sessions, maximize your time at the conference you can share with each other what you learned.
- Meet new people – you’re probably not going to meet new people if you’re hanging out wtih the people you came with. Get out of your comfort zone, ask people what they want to get from the conference, how far they traveled etc, you never know what you’ll learn or who you’ll meet.
- Review the program before you go so you know what session you will be attending and when you’ll have free time to have coffee with someone you meet.
- Know what amenities your hotel offers – internet access, gym, fridge, breakfast etc
- Make time for down time, conferences can be overwhelming there is so much to do, so many people to meet. Don’t wear yourself out early.
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Layer your clothes, bring a jacket, temperature can vary widely in rooms and you want to be comfortable
- Drink lots of water
Recommended further reading:
- Tips from Stephen Abrams
- Advice for the Shy
- Be Sexier in Person
- Tips for Conference Bloggers
- Maximizing the Conference Experience
What would you add? What did I miss?