Reviving the OPAC: an overview of catalog overlay software products by Mary Aycock & Jee Davis University of Missouri-Columbia
Next gen catalogs
Catalog search overlay
From metadata sources
· Online resources
· Pub date
· Geographic region
· Time period
· New book
· Lc class #
Other expected features
- Relevancy ranking
- Spelling alternatives
- Tag clouds
- Rss feeds
- Federated searching ability to contribute user generated content
- Integration of vendor generated enriched content
- Word discovery panel – visual cues with color
- University of Chicago example
- Works with development partners including Springfield Greene
- McMaster University
- Boston College
- Emory University
proprietary software vs open source
What’s wrong with you current catalog?
How flexible is the product in choosing facets?
What are the features that the product offers
How/where are the data for the facets coming from?
- Where would overlay happen since we’re a consortium?
- Audience comment – Mobius looked at it, but it’s too expensive and changing too fast
- Open source tools? – excited about eXtensible