This morning Pew Internet & American Life released the latest report on libraries in the digital age. “How Americans Value Public Libraries in Their Communities” reports on the value of libraries services to their community.
The vast majority of Americans ages 16 and older say that public libraries play an important role in their communities:
- 95% of Americans ages 16 and older agree that the materials and resources available at public libraries play an important role in giving everyone a chance to succeed;
- 95% say that public libraries are important because they promote literacy and a love of reading;
- 94% say that having a public library improves the quality of life in a community;
- 81% say that public libraries provide many services people would have a hard time finding elsewhere.
- Aspen Institute Announces Dialogue on Public Libraries
- What Can We Learn From Pew’s Changing World of Librarians
- Geek the Library