Facebook does it again! I see this when I check my page today.
Connect with your friends on your favorite websites.
Sounds great. Sounds suspicious. So like a good little librarian I click on the link at the bottom Learn More with “Understand Your Privacy” in small type beneath it. Which takes me to a page telling me how great the new service is. All the way down at the bottom I see this:
When I unchecked the box I got this box telling me how sad & lonely my internet experience will be without Instant Personalization.
Except wait, what’s that bit at the end? What the?
Allowing instant personalization will give you a richer experience as you browse the web. If you opt-out, you will have to manually activate these experiences. Please keep in mind that if you opt out, your friends may still share public Facebook information about you to personalize their experience on these partner sites unless you block the application.
When I click on “Learn More” I go to this page, where I finally find
How do I opt-out of instant personalization?
You can opt-out of instant personalization by disallowing it here. By clicking “No Thanks” on the Facebook notification on partner sites, partners will delete your data. To prevent your friends from sharing any of your information with an instant personalization partner, block the application: Microsoft Docs.com, Pandora, Yelp.
Yes you must go to each application and click block.
So to recap to completely opt out you need to
- Go to your to your privacy settings ->Applications and Websites and uncheck box at the bottom.
- Then click on the links to Yelp, Pandora and MicrosoftDocs.om on Facebook and click on “Block Application”
- Do you understand Facebook’s privacy settings?
- Dear Facebook, I Would Like My Illusion* of Privacy Back, K, Thanks
- Google’s Social Circle & Social Search May Not Violate Any Privacy Laws But It Gives Me The Creeps