It’s really hard to do, by the way. It doesn’t take a genius to point out that being nice to people will improve reputations; of course it will. But actually applying that maxim to the full, particularly five minutes before you’re due to close with an annoying patron who isn’t showing you any courtesy at all in return, is often easy to duck out of. But it’s worth sticking with it, for the good of all of us.
Innovation is a big fat generic concept in most corporations — like life on other planets or ending the war in Iraq. Unless the individuals within a given organization have a genuine sense of urgency, personal ownership, and an authentic passion for innovation, nothing much will happen. Innovation begins within the mind of each person. Corporate initiatives that fail to awaken the basic human instinct to innovate are doomed, no matter how many pep talks, tote bags, or t-shirts proliferate.
3. Database Delight Online Training: Report on Week One– The San Jose Library staff, led by the electronic resources team, are participating in a 23 Things style program (Database Delight) to learn about the library’s databases. Very Cool.
4. What to do about photography in the library – includes a link to a downloadable flyer on photographers rights
Traditionally, environmental scanning is explained within a business context as a strategic approach to acquiring information in order to stay current on events, emerging trends, and external factors that could influence or impact an organization. It basically means paying attention to what’s going on within your industry, monitoring what your competitors are doing, what your customers are saying, and being sensitive to potential threats or opportunities along the way.
6. NSFW: I Admit It, The iPad Is A Kindle Killer. I Just Wish It Weren’t Going To Kill Reading Too – there is some swearing in thist post from Tech Crunch & that NSFW label is in the title so I’m leaving it in. If you’re thinking about the iPad and ebooks this is a must read.
8. RT @itishows: Great post by Jill Hurst-Wahl at Digitization 101:#CIL2010 What is the Computers in Libraries Conf? – wondering what all those cil2010 tweets were last week? Considering Computers in Libraries next year? start here
9. The Library Catalog Ghetto – Why Apple & Google Win – And Libraries Don’t #CIL2010– great visualization of one of my favorite tweets from the conference.
10. 10 Things the Internet has Ruined and Five Things it Hasn’t – CIO.com – via @joycevalenza @infodiva – great list! plus any list that includes a Chuck Norris reference is a win in my book! :-)
CC image used courtesy of holeymoon on flickr