Transliteracy is 3D

Since posting the Libraries and Transliteracy slideshow I’ve been asked many times to define transliteracy. Its a slippery term, people often confuse it with digital literacy or technology literacy. Sometimes I’m not sure I even have a good grasp on the concept. So a colleague and I sat out to hash out the details, here is what we came up with.

In collaboration with Brian Hulsey

Special thanks to Sue Thomas and Tom Ipri for their input & approval.

If you’d like to learn about libraries and transilteracy please visit my Transliteracy page

If you’d like to know more about transliteracy in general please visit transliteracy.com and follow the conference on February 9th.

9 comments for “Transliteracy is 3D

1. jimmythegeek
    February 4, 2010 at 11:34 am

Nice! Very well-thought and assembled. Major kudos to you & Brian!

2. joe grobelny
    February 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

I like the breadth of your slideshow, but i came across this one yesterday, and i think it accidentally nailed transliteracy in my mind: the place in between critical thinking and information literacy.

• February 6, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Joe thanks for the link, I don't read that blog, I'll try to take some time to read it, it looks long ;-)

3. February 5, 2010 at 12:34 pm

You have some beautiful images, but I'm left wondering: So, transliteracy is everything? If something is EVERYTHING, it's really NOTHING or some Eastern vision of Godhead.

• February 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

The working definition of transliteracy is : Transliteracy is the ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms, tools and media from signing and orality through handwriting, print, TV, radio and film, to digital social networks. http://nlabnetworks.typepad.com/transliteracy/

I made this slide show because people seemed to be confusing it with digital or technology literacy and it encompasses those but is not defined by them.

4. February 6, 2010 at 8:18 am