Will Nook and Barnes & Noble play ball with libraries? Librarians have been trying to figure out a way to lend Kindle titles and Kindles since they were first available. But its complicated and Amazon hasn’t given any indication they want to work with libraries. Yes there are libraries doing it but they do not have Amazon’s official blessing.
But the Nook and Barnes & Noble might be different. They might be willing to officially give libraries permission to loan Nooks & their ebooks. Why?
- They have already built in 2 week loaning and borrowing
- Loaning can be made to a variety of devices – Mac, PC, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Mobile (soon).
- You can load ebooks from your public library onto The Nook*
- Barnes & Noble has a history of work with libraries.
- Barnes & Noble/Bookmobile Book Fair
- Barnes & Noble Lends A Hand To Library System
- Barnes and Noble Day for the Library
- Barnes & Noble Bookfair
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers aids Kalamazoo Public Library’s Reading Together program
- Jefferson Parish Library Is Recipient of Barnes and Noble Donation
- Jessamine County Public Library Benefit Book Fair at Barnnes & Noble/Lexington, KY
- Barnes & Noble and New Jersey libraries work together to sponsor “Love Your Library” Month
*All signs point to yes as Barnes & Noble has adopted Adobe® Content Server but none of the players have specifically addressed this issue.
- The Nook from Barnes & Noble – I Want One, Here’s Why
- Choosing a Reader for eBooks
- Friends, Romans, Countrymen Lend Me Your Ebooks: Resources for Loaning & Borrowing Nook & Kindle Items