Do you understand Facebook’s privacy settings?

privacy

photo by practicalowl

They are complicated and change often, even if you think you know them this is a good time to review them.

Think it doesn’t matter? That you don’t care if the whole world sees what you’ve posted?  What if Facebook was using your photo in ads? They might be. I came across this blog post today about Facebook could be using your photos in their ads.  To change this option -> Settings -> Privacy -> News Feed and Wall -> Facebook Ads -> Appearance in Facebook Ads and click “no one.”

I had no idea this was even an option or possibility and I pay pretty close attention to my facebook privacy settings.

Some additional helpful info on Facebook and privacy:

8 comments for “Do you understand Facebook’s privacy settings?

1. July 17, 2009 at 10:25 am

I had no idea that was an option either! Even better: accessing my account in Firefox didn’t even show the option (the Facebook Ads tab had no text). I had to view it in IE to see the text -fortunately mine was already set to ‘no one.’

Good grief, Facebook.

• July 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I read that in the comments of the original post that there was a problem with some browsers.

• Missa Eaton
      July 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I used Mozilla Firefox, and I had no trouble at all viewing and changing that setting.

• July 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

hmmm sounds like its a version or an add-on problem

2. July 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this. I am going to change my settings now

3. July 18, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Great article! I remember talking to you about Facebook, and can’t believe that there are so many features on there that I have overlooked. Well worth checking out…

4. TMK
    July 24, 2009 at 6:54 pm

oh please! Why would I care if they use my photo in their ad? and what is the likelihood that they do that? I think that for 99.99% of people this has absolutely no effect, and for the remaining .01%- they probably want to be on the ad anyway…

• July 25, 2009 at 7:56 am

If you read the original post I linked to they were doing it without permission to someone who didn’t want it to happen. Companies can not use your image for advertising without your permission.

It always a good idea to be aware of the privacy settings of any site you’re using.