What Reading (Listening) Do You Recommend for a Leadership Program?

glassesMy library has a leadership program and we were asked to recommend

• books,
  • journals
  • articles
  • blogs
  • blogposts
  • podcasts
  • whatever

with an annotation preferably, on any topic relevant to leadership, management, customers service or other topic we think would be helpful to participants.  I went through my favorites of the last couple of years and came up with these:

What do you recommend?

9 comments for “What Reading (Listening) Do You Recommend for a Leadership Program?

1. June 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm

A classic: Kouzes and Posner’s The Leadership Challenge. It’s a timeless book on leadership (in my humble opinion!) :)

• June 24, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I haven’t read that one, I’m putting it on my list right now.

2. June 25, 2009 at 11:12 am

some great suggestions from Twitter, just to have everything together

The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work

Phlip Zimbardo on the nature of evil TED talk http://tinyurl.com/aw8zez

Emporers of Chocolate http://tinyurl.com/ml5rgb Amazing contrast in two different styles of highly successful entrepreneurs

True North by Bill George. It’s not your typical leadership gobbledy goop. http://www.truenorthleaders.com/

3. June 25, 2009 at 12:56 pm

a good perspective:
    Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business
    by Danny Meyer

• June 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm

thanks! I’ve added this to my personal to-read list!

4. June 25, 2009 at 3:12 pm

a few more from Twitter

pausch’s “the last lecture” although not Lib based general lessons can be learned. At “R u a tigger or an eeyore?”

also “what to say to a porcupine” by gallagher for customer service – lots of anecdotes which can be tweaked for libs

5. suzi w.
    June 25, 2009 at 4:41 pm

From Good to Great. It’s a leadership book disguised as a business book. I listen to it on audio at least 1x a year. Jim Collins rocks!!

6. Patti O
    June 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm

You Don’t Need a Title to Be a Leader by Mark Sanborn

Leading with Soul: An Uncommon Journey of Spirit by Lee G Bolman

The textbook for our library leadership course was Reframing Organizations by Bolman & Deal

7. AmandaClay
    June 14, 2010 at 3:49 am

@librarianbyday Nice leadership list! How about “Managing Your Boss” from HBR; Carneigies’ How to Win Friends; & Godin’s Tribes…