Monday OCLC kicked off their Geek the Library campaign with Iowa (my home state!) and Georgia (my current state!). What is Geek the Library? Its a community-based public awareness campaign. The idea is to increase public awareness of libraries and the important role they play and the funding we so desperately need. People can share what they are passionate about using geek as a verb
- To love, to enjoy, to celebrate, to have an intense passion for.
- To express interest in.
- To possess a large amount of knowledge in.
- To promote
I love (or is that geek?) the potential of this campaign! When they get the gear up I’ll be first in line for a shirt and coffee cup! Right now they are testing the campaign in Georgia and Iowa, with plans to kick off nationwide in 2010. I’ll be interested to see how it plays out. The site looks slick and being a geek is cool in many circles now, I’m sure it will be a hit with librarian. Will it raise public awareness and more importantly funding for libraries? I hope so.
For libraries they have special geek page
- Facebook Community Pages vs Official Pages and Your Library or Business
- What is a Public Library?
- How Did You Get Into Libraries? Share Your Story With The Library Routes Project